Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Strange Sign

Just think
A long time ago bears were here.
By the Order of Me


Hmmm, well now that is definitely not what I was expecting to find on Broad Hill when I went a walking the other day. Rather strange to say the least and wait there was not just one but at least eight of them on and around the hill. 

Well those of you who have known me for quite some time will know that I simply cannot resist investigating something as curious as this. And so I took a detour on my walk to the beach and photographed as many of the signs as I could see. Satisfied that this was all I could do in the information gathering part of my invesitgation, while being the only person stuck on a hill in what can only be classified as bloodly freezing cold conditions, I put my gloves back on and headed to see the sea. 

On returning to the world of indoor heating later that day I asked my sister and her boyfriend if they had ever encountered these signs but alas they were not the fountains of knowledge that I had hoped as they had never even been up Broad Hill. 

So I did what all good investigators do I turned to Google! And presto!! I had answers! Thank you Google you are a good search engine! 

For a more indepth explaination you can visit the website of the Aberdeen Voice but in a nutshell  the Order of Me is a collection of visual art by artist Rachel O'Neill, writer Davey Anderson and 54 pupils from Kingsford Primary School. They are trying to challenge the way in which visitors interact with their surroundings and were inspired by the many prohibitive signs found across the city. Which I have myself noticed since I arrived. One in particular caught my eye at the beach promenade - Drinking in public is strictly prohibited! Damn that used to be one of my favourite things to do in the UK when I lived here before university. Oh how the world is changing!

Well I think that is more than enough from me. Why don't you scroll down and take a look at some of the sign for yourself.

You make
 the world
  the world
By the Order of Me


Shout 'Hello uncle Jimmy'
And see if he shouts back
By the Order of Me


My dragon breathes fire
On boring humans
By Order of Me





No kissing
On the hill
I mean it
By Order of Me


Don't tell anyone
This is the spot where my mum and dad first kissed
By Order of Me
More animals
Please
By Order of Me

2 comments:

  1. wow that is such a random and cool thing to stumble upon! yay for adventures and thanks for sharing, made me think...
    love the "more animals please"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are sooo cool! Hilarious - helped me get over that end of office day slump! xx

    ReplyDelete